Monday 27 March 2017

I know Dino - Sabrina and Garret


via Instagram http://ift.tt/2o363Zb

I attempted to draw Garret and Sabrina from the palaeontology podcast I know Dino
I didn't put much importance on getting their likeness accurate, however I did find it very difficult to capture subtle details like their eyes and mouths.


I'm still experimenting with different techniques when it comes to my digital art. I'm unable to let go of my emphasis on line work. 

I tried a more direct painting approach, but I wasn't happy with it so I went back to my usual colouring style.


I tried a technique of laying in the values and adding colours on top. I wasn't happy with this process either. The colours seemed too muddy. 

So I tried again with my usual colouring approach (choosing my own colours from a swatch or modifying them as I go). What I don't like about my usual approach is that I sacrificed details with light and shadow and was held at the mercy of the line work.


I was getting frustrated early on with how long each process was taking me. I have seen "in real time" videos of artists that can knock this kind of image out in 30 or 60 minutes.


Images:

1) rough sketch stage
2) clean outline stage

3) attempt at painting on one layer

4) colour in values (black and white)
5) I then added a colour gradient to help withe the next step
Stanley Lau (ArtGerm)  has a video on YouTube explaining this process.

6) added colour (separate layer set to Colour mode)

7) Finished image

No comments: