Sunday 9 October 2016

Inktober 2016: Day 09


via Instagram http://ift.tt/2e3pqJN

I was binge watching some episodes of the 90's comedy Drew Carey Show. I forgot how many episodes I actually saw of this back in the day (it wasn't as popular in Ireland, relegated to late night Saturday viewing).

This was my second attempt at a picture for the day. I had finished another (different) picture but I felt it looked horrible (composition and line work was dull. I even attempted black comic style shading... I just have to accept that kind of inking is way outside my ability).

I watched some YouTube videos during the week of another artist that is doing Inktober. She had a similar problem (very unhappy with first image and so did another). And what she said turned out to be right, once you have done that first rubbish picture, it frees you and loosens you up to make a better second picture.

I admit when I did this Drew Carey picture, I wasn't paying enough attention, but I was enjoying drawing it more.
I might need to stay away from portraits though. They are my comfort zone and I do way too much of them already.

*and for the more observant, yes I do procrastinate a lot when doing a picture. I'm afraid of putting time into something that will flop.

No comments: